In order to be as environmentally friendly as possible, we’re planning to conduct Nationals as a Sailors for the Sea Clean Regatta. Here’s what that entails – and how you can help!
ELIMINATION OF SINGLE-USE ITEMS
1. Eliminate single-use water bottles and provide water refill stations.
Be sure to bring your own reusable water bottles and cups.
2. Eliminate plastic straws
3. Serve food with plastic-free dinnerware
4. Use or provide reusable bags
Headed to the grocery store? Bring your own bag.
5. Award practical items or use a perpetual or upcycled trophy
6. Publicize sustainability efforts
7. Involve local organizations
8. Post educational and reusable signage
9. Serve local food or source seafood sustainably
RESPONSIBLE WASTE MANAGEMENT
10. Organize a Green team
Want to help with the Clean Regatta effort? Please contact us at ThistleNationals2021@gmail.com.
11. Ensure proper waste bin placement and signage
12. Divert food waste from the landfill
Please be sure to dispose of recyclables, compost and landfill items in the proper receptacles.
13. Use paperless event management
14. Host a beach or marina clean-up
15. Promote alternative transportation
16. Increase awareness of wildlife and habitat protection
17. Offer vegetarian or vegan alternatives
18. Use eco-smart race management techniques
19. Prevent toxins from entering the water
20. Encourage green boating practices
SEA BAGS SAIL DRIVE
In partnership with Sea Bags, we’ll be collecting your old sails to be repurposed as nautically inspired totes and accessories. This is a great way to recycle old sails and support our Clean Regatta initiative.
PAPERLESS SAILING INSTRUCTIONS
In an effort to reduce paper waste, we will not be distributing hard copies of the sailing instructions. Printed copies will be available upon request at the registration desk. For details, see section 2 of the NOR.
Thanks in advance for your help making Nationals as sustainable as possible!
The 2021 Thistle National Championship, presented by KeyBank, celebrates the 75th anniversary of one of North America’s most popular and competitive one-design sailing classes. The regatta takes place July 31- August 6 at the Cleveland Yachting Club in Rocky River, Ohio.